Kneeling before Him...

Archives




Copyright

Creative Commons License


Sunday, April 15, 2007

There was a day this week that Sarah Jane and I went into town to have lunch with Mac. It is not something we do often, so it was a special treat. Sarah Jane and I arrived at the cafe first, Mac had called to let me know He would be running late. I settled in with Sarah Jane and some orange juice and fed Sarah Jane while I waited. And while I am not in the habit of listening in on other people's conversation, the two women at the table next to Sarah Jane and me were talking so loudly that it was almost impossible for anyone there not to be listening in. I was actually annoyed, not wanting to spend my lunch with my family having another's conversation interupt our own.

So along with everyone else in the cafe, I listened as these two women discussed their lack of love lives, the first saying that her boyfriend of three months was being too controlling, wanting to know where she was and what she was doing every weekend. She said he was encroaching on her space and she didn't want to have to answer to anyone. To me, she sounded like she was not that into him, but apparently her lack of wanting to share had made him step back and say that he wasn't sure he wanted to be with her. She had been surprised and hurt that he had done this. I just gooed at Sarah Jane.

The first then asked the second if she was seeing anyone. From things they said, I gathered that this was a catch up sort of lunch and they had not seen each other for a while. The second said that she was sort of seeing a guy, a friend with benefits, someone to have sex with, who didn't interfere with her freedom. But she complained that he had not been available the last couple of times she had wanted to see him. She didn't know how much longer the arrangement would last.

Then they both went on to lament how hard it is to find the 'right' guy.

It was about that time that Mac arrived and the two ladies had finished their lunch and got up to leave. I saw them look at him, He really does turn heads, but He was watching me. He leaned over and kissed me hello then planted a kiss on Sarah Jane's head. She grinned up at Him. I was very happy to see Him, I could feel myself shine. He always has that effect on me, but after listening to the negetivity of the two ladies from that table, I was especially happy to see my Mr Right. I didn't notice the two women after Mac sat down, but I did notice that a normal level of conversation resumed around us now that their show had moved on. Mac, Sarah Jane and I had a wonderful lunch.

Later as I thought about it, I wondered of the others that had been subjected to the same conversation as I. I wondered if they had come to the same conclusion that I did. The women were in their early 30’s, both good looking, both well dressed, both articulate and intelligent. And both so self-absorbed that they would not have noticed the right man if he stood in front of them and stripped.

Now I don't pretend, not even for a moment, that a female's submission to her partner is necessary in all relationships for them to be successful. Just because it works so well for Mac and me doesn't mean that it should work for anyone else. But I will say without hesitation that a relationship in which one partner is not willing to give will simply never work. You cannot be totally selfish when it comes to love. Both of these women expected to find a man that would be there when they wanted and leave them to live their own life on their own when they wanted. I expect that they will both be single for a while.

I know that I should not judge the lives of these two women from one overheard lunch time conversation. But they made it hard not to when they forced their conversation upon me.

But I thank them for reminding me what a wonderful relationship Mac and I have.

I appreciated us even more after hearing how it was for them.


Posted by Sarah McBroden at 3:26 pm




This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?